        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
linuxgirlie
        Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 3:12 AM
        To: Herman Bos
        Cc: edubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
        Subject: Re: New version of Karoshi

        Ahhh well...lol

        As I said in my last message at the moment it only works on KDE, if you
try and install with Gnome it just sits there and does nothing, we have distro
support for kubuntu so if KDE was used it would work...either that or someone
could help us getting it to work with Gnome :)

        Jo

        On 2/21/06, Herman Bos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

                linuxgirlie wrote:
                > ok, here goes:
                >
                > In the UK the majority of schools run a system called RM
Community
<http://www.rm.com> >), CC3 is a piece of
                > software that runs on top of a fully installed Microsoft
Windows
                > server, which at the moment I think they are pushing Server
03. CC3
                > allows school administrators to do things such as add users,
create
                > windows profiles, change passwords, and the majority of
everyday
                > network managing things that schools need. Now if you where a
Windows
                > sys-admin you could do all that without another layer but in
schools
                > technicians are paid a lot less than there business
counterparts and
                > quite often are the teacher also, so they need this layer to
be able
                > to run a working network.
                >
                > Before we started Karoshi we would put Linux in schools and
as soon as
                > we left they would change back to windows, we decided that
what Linux
                > needed was an 'RM CC3' so that teachers in school wouldn't
have to
                > worry about consoles, tar files and Linux configuration.
                >
                > So we started the project with that idea in mind, we made it
as easy
                > as possible, for example using KDE over Gnome (as it's
similar to
                > XP-ish style), we have taken away all need of knowledge of
Linux, for
                > example on the web server we install the school Moodle, (we
call it
                > the online classroom to make things easier) so first when you
put the
                > karoshi cd in it configures your web server for you
installing all
                > necessary packages to run a web page. (This is the same for
all
                > servers the PDC for example will install all the needed
software for
                > it to become a PDC) Once the server is 'setup' it will ask
you if you
                > want to install for example the online classroom. If you say
yes, it
                > will copy the files to the correct place, populate the
database and
                > most obviously make sure you have the correct software
installed and
                > if not install it. Once this is done you get some nice icons
on the
                > desktop so that you can 'manage' the server, icons can be
anything
                > from a link to the admin page of Moodle, to a link that
activates your
                > wake on LAN in a specified computer room.
                >
                > Once we had all the features that RM CC3 provide we decided
to move on
                > and really go full force with Open Source, so started to
provide
                > features such as a help desk (using help centre live),
web-based email
                > (using squirrelmail) and more, all was available to schools
just by a
                > single click of a button, basically we have had a full server
setup
                > installed by trainee teachers up and running within a
day...including
                > the installation of Linux, something none of them had done
before.

                > So maybe a simple way of putting it is this, Karoshi is a set
of
                > scripts with nice GUI front end that allows non-experienced
                > administrators to install, configure and run a Linux network
without
                > getting in to deep.
                >
                > Let me know if you have anymore questions, I may of wandered
off
                > during that and I have a funny feeling that I still may not
of
                > explained it enough!
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Jo
                Well its much more clear now. Couldn't get this from the
website. :)

                Now the obvious question: Does it work on Edubuntu?

                I guess some features would fit Edubuntu.

                Regards,

                Herman