G'day Mike,
I am running 2.2rc1 in a VMWare server machine, with Asterisk on my local
lan.
I have one SIP account that works (for playing with really as I only have a
128k net connection).
I originally had it set to port forward SIP UDP 5060 and RTP 10000 to 20000
to my asterisk server.
This worked (as well as it can here)

As I wanted to use the traffic shaping to give the RTP traffic highest
priority, but couldn't define a range of ports for the traffic shaper I
decided to try the SIP proxy instead, in the hope that it may give the
traffic a higher priority. (It didn't)
So then I turned off the port forwarding and turned on the sip proxy with:

Sip Port: 5060
RTP Port Low: 10000 RTP Port High: 20000
Outbound Proxy host: is blank, Port: is blank

Autosave registrations checked
Log Calls checked
Firewall logs outgoing connections checked

Logging:
I get nothing in the sip proxy logs in the gui. I haven't had a look at the
actual files though.

I get some firewall logs of accepted connections from my asterisk server to
the SIP provider. These are UDP ports in the range of 10000 to 20000
(probably a smaller range than that, but they do fall in the range I have
set for RTP traffic)

I have seen that efw sends directly SIP registration packets to my SIP
provider, and the system still works, so I am assuming that SIP proxy is
working.

I haven't really looked hard into the whole system as it is still not a
release version and it seemed to work OK for what I want to do.

Cheers,
Col