Hi,

we are setting up a Elasticsearch 1.0 (RC2) Cluster and I think I need some
help were to start with (settings related). We have got 6 physical server
with 265GB RAM and 2TB local SAS storage (seperated in two Raid10 Groups as
LVM VGs). Those six servers are running Ubuntu 14.04. All "roles"
(Application Server [NGINX+PHP-FPM+GlusterFS-Client+Elasticsearch
"searcher"], Database Server [Galera Cluster], Storage Server [GlusterFS],
Cache Server [Redis] ...) will be running in LXC containers. Most of them
Ubuntu 14.04 only the Galera Cluster in 12.04.
We expect about 100GB of data to index and the data is changing not that
fast (5% per day?). The idea is to install Elastic Search on all 6
Application Severs as "searcher" with:

cluster.name: search001
node.master: false
node.data: false
#node.master: true
#node.data: true
node.max_local_storage_nodes: 1
index.number_of_shards: 5
index.number_of_replicas: 2

Add 3 "data" Nodes with:

cluster.name: search001
node.master: false
#node.data: false
#node.master: true
node.data: true
node.max_local_storage_nodes: 1
index.number_of_shards: 5
index.number_of_replicas: 2
bootstrap.mlockall: true

and 3 "master" nodes:

cluster.name: search001
#node.master: false
node.data: false
node.master: true
#node.data: true
node.max_local_storage_nodes: 1
index.number_of_shards: 5
index.number_of_replicas: 2

The LXCs for those "searchers" get 8GB RAM, the "masters" get 2GB RAM and
the "data" LXCs get 60GB and 300GB storage.

What about the Java settings for those "data" nodes???

cat /etc/default/elasticsearch
# Run Elasticsearch as this user ID and group ID
ES_USER=elasticsearch
ES_GROUP=elasticsearch

# Heap Size (defaults to 256m min, 1g max)
ES_HEAP_SIZE=30g

# Heap new generation
ES_HEAP_NEWSIZE=1g

# max direct memory
ES_DIRECT_SIZE=???

# Maximum number of open files, defaults to 65535.
MAX_OPEN_FILES=65535

# Maximum locked memory size. Set to "unlimited" if you use the
# bootstrap.mlockall option in elasticsearch.yml. You must also set
# ES_HEAP_SIZE.
MAX_LOCKED_MEMORY=unlimited

# Maximum number of VMA (Virtual Memory Areas) a process can own
MAX_MAP_COUNT=262144  #more????

# Elasticsearch log directory
#LOG_DIR=/var/log/elasticsearch

# Elasticsearch data directory
#DATA_DIR=/var/lib/elasticsearch

# Elasticsearch work directory
#WORK_DIR=/tmp/elasticsearch

# Elasticsearch configuration directory
#CONF_DIR=/etc/elasticsearch

# Elasticsearch configuration file (elasticsearch.yml)
#CONF_FILE=/etc/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.yml

# Additional Java OPTS
#ES_JAVA_OPTS=

# Configure restart on package upgrade (true, every other setting will lead
to not restarting)
#RESTART_ON_UPGRADE=true

What about the master and searcher settings? I guess I do not have to tune
them?

Thank you for any help!

Regards,
Flo