Yes I can easily index plain POCO JSON into Solr, as I'm currently using
Joerg.
Format is slightly different, while in ES you have to specifiy operation,
in Solr you need not.

Regarding things about history - I'm not an expert in that...
Nevertheless both of them are build upon Lucene which uses BerkeleyDB.
This was how I met Solr/ES at first, I was searching for some high-level
Berkeley DB other than MongoDB, which is big space glutton...