It makes sense if it was just as simple :) The reason shards need to move
through the higher level of stack is that every node maintains it's own
indexes or lucene segments and it can't just be switched. And I think that
is primarily because of how internal structures are maintained in lucene.
You might be able to develop a workaround using one or more of these
settings:

http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/cluster-update-settings.html