Think of es-hadoop as a connector between Hadoop and Elasticsearch. You
would use it to index data in Hadoop to ES or run queries in ES directly
from Hadoop.
Where does ES store the data? That depends on its configuration (completely
separate from es-hadoop itself). In general (and the default) is to store
it onto the local file-system. If you want to use it on a shared
file-system or HDFS you can easily do that by mounting it locally (for
example, mount HDFS through NFS as a local disk) and point ES to it. ES is
happy to work with it however the performance will be _significantly_
degraded and most of the real-time nature of it will go down the window
since HDFS is a distributed file-system (and thus even basic operations
like opening a file or closing a file mean at least one call over the
network) plus you're giving up the amazing OS file-system cache (since the
fs is not local). If the FS is slow, anything that sits on top of it (like
ES) will be slow as well.

Hope this helps,

P.S. By the way, if you want/need to snapshot/restore data to/from ES
from/to HDFS you can use the HDFS repository (more info here:
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/hadoop/current/setup.html
)