ES stores data in its own internal format, which typically resides locally.
What you are stating is partially correct - with the connector you would
move/copy data between Hadoop and ES since, in order for ES to work with
data, it needs to actually index it (that is, to see it).
So you would use es-hadoop to index data from Hadoop in ES or/and query ES
directly from Hadoop.