I guess the problem I having wrapping my head around is exactly where the
data is residing and in what format.

If I understand the Georgi's email above is it that you can run map reduce
jobs against data stored in local ES through by utilizing es-hadoop and you
can also run ES queries against data in Hadoop utilizing es-hadoop.

  Is that correct?