I personally would not count any any default behaviors and would choose to
use match_all explicitly in my calls. Having some filtered queries with no
query (default match all) and some with a more detailed query would be
inconsistent, so my preference would be to always have a query.

It comes down to personal preference. At this point, changing the default
behavior would be a breaking change, so I doubt the Elasticsearch team
would ever revert, but you never know...

--
Ivan