It is correct you noted that Elasticsearch comes with developer settings -
that is exactly what a packages ES is meant for.

If you find issues when configuring and setting up ES for critical use, it
would be nice to post your issues so others can also find help too, and
maybe share their solutions , because there are ES installations that run
successfully in critical environments.

By just quoting "hate" of dev teams, it is rather impossible for me to
learn about the reason why this is so. Learning facts is more important
than emotions to fix software issues. The power of open source is that such
issues can be fixed by the help of a public discussion in the community. In
closed software products, you can not rely on issues being discussed
publicly for best solutions how to fix them.

Jörg