I wasn't aware that the elasticsearch_http output wasn't recommended?
When I spoke to a few of the ELK devs a few months ago, they indicated that
there was minimal performance difference, at the greater benefit of not
being locked to specific LS+ES versioning.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor