Mark,

I've read one post (can't remember where) that the Node client was
preferred, but have also read where the HTTP interface is minimal overhead.
So yes, I am currently using logstash with the HTTP interface and it works
fine.

I also performed some experiments with clustering (not much, due to
resource and time constraints) and used unicast discovery. Then I read
someone who strongly recommended multicast recovery, and I started to feel
like I'd gone down the wrong path. Then I watched the ELK webinar and heard
that unicast discovery was preferred. I think it's not a big deal either
way; it's what works best for your particular networking infrastructure.

In addition, I was recently given this link:
http://aphyr.com/posts/317-call-me-maybe-elasticsearch. It hasn't dissuaded
me at all, but it is a thought-provoking read. I am a little confused by
some things, though. In all of my high-performance banging on ES, even with
my time-to-live test feature enabled, I never lost any documents at all.
But I wasn't using auto-id; I was specifying my own unique ID. And when run
in my 3-node cluster (slow due to being hosted by 3 VMs running on a
dual-code machine), I still didn't lose any data. So I am not sure of the
high data loss scenarios he describes in his missive; I have seen no
evidence of any data loss due to false insert positives at all.

Brian