Hello Joshua ,

I am not sure which variable you are referring to on the memory settings in
the config file , please paste the comment and config.
I usually change the config from init.d script.

Best approach would be to bulk index say 10,000 feeds in sync mode , wait
until is everything is indexed and then proceed to the next batch.
I am not sure about the java API , but long back i used to curl to this
stats API and see how much request was rejected.

Thanks
          Vineeth