I work on an experimental cluster of ES nodes running on Windows Server
machines. Once in a while we have a need to reboot machines. The initial
state - cluster is green and well balanced. One machine is gracefully taken
offline and then after necessary service is performed it comes back online.
All the hardware and file system content is intact. As soon as ES service
starts on that machine, it assumes that there is no usable data locally and
recovers as much data as it deems necessary for balancing from other nodes.

This behavior puzzles me, because most of the data shards stored on that
machine file system can be reused as they are. Cluster stores logs, so all
indices except those for the current day never ever change until they get
deleted. Can't ES node detect that it has perfect copies of some (actually
most) of the shards and instead of copying them over just mark them as up
to date?

I suspect I don't know about some step to enable this behavior and I'm
looking to enable it. Any advice?

Thank you!
Konstantin