Its been true for as long as I've used Elasticsearch which as .9X (can't
remember which).  Copying everything is pretty common because the index
operations are non-deterministic so the files might not be the same at
all.  I pretty much assume I'm going to have to copy _almost_ everything
every time I restart.  It turns my rolling restarts into two day long
affairs.  I know its being worked on.

Nik