The thing is that this is a disk level operation. It pretty much rsyncs the
files from the current master shard to the node when it comes back online.
This would be OK if the replica shards matched the master but that is only
normally the case if the shard was moved to the node after it was mostly
complete and then you've had only a few writes. Normally shards don't match
each other because the way the index is maintained is nondeterministic.

The translog replay is only used as a catch up after the rsync-like step.

This is something that is being worked on. Its certainly my biggest
complaint about elasticsearch but I'm confident that it'll get better.

Nik