I'm currently working on implementing ElasticSearch on a Django-based REST
API.  I hope to be able to search through roughly 5 million documents, but
I've struggled to find an answer to a question I've had from the beginning:
 *how many fields is too many for a single indexed object?*

My setup has 512MB of storage and 4GB of memory, 1 shard, and 2 nodes.

I want to be able to sort/filter on about 30 different fields for that
single model, but only search on 5-6.  Is 30 fields too many?

I have a dev environment set up with roughly 30,000 documents and the same
number of fields, and updates and queries are taking significantly longer
than I had hoped.  Updating a single document is taking between 4-5
seconds, and searching for a 5-character long string is taking 3-4 seconds.

Is there hope that this is a configuration problem, or should I reconsider
how many fields I'm using?  Thanks in advance.