Hey Nik, you'll have to forgive me if any of my answers don't make sense.
 I've only been familiar with Elasticsearch for about a week.

1.  Here's a template for my documents:
 https://gist.github.com/mkuchen/d71de53a80e078242af9
2.  I interact with my search engine through django-haystack
<http://django-haystack.readthedocs.org/en/latest/>.  A query may look like
`SearchQuerySet().filter(document='mitch').order_by('created_at')[:100] --
so essentially getting the first 100 documents that have `mitch` in them,
ordered by the field `created_at`.
3.  Each node has 247.5MB of heap allocated judging by my hosting service's
dashboard.
4.  The documents/fields take up roughly 30MB on disk.
5.  Using Elasticsearch version 1.4.2 but could very easily upgrade.
6.  I'm hosting with found.no so I don't have access to a command line to
run that unfortunately.
7.  I haven't found any options in found.no to disable swapping, so I would
assume they have it off by default?  I could be wrong though.

Thanks for your reply.