From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Corky
Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2024 2:27 PM
To: W3FPR <w3fpr...@gmail.com>; RIchard Williams via Elecraft
<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Power Issues

Don, I am not sure exactly what "problems go away" means here.

Moving it to the separate power supply, cleaning the power terminal contacts
on the K3, and upgrading the power cable eliminated the brownout problem
with the K3. Increasing the voltage will certainly give me more headroom to
play with.

As for measuring the power at the K3, the only thing I have to go on is the
reading from the K3 itself. Everything else I could come up with as a means
to measure the voltage at the terminals during TX involved adding something
else into the power chain, thereby increasing the resistance/voltage drop in
the power cable. If anyone has a solution for getting a voltage measurement
at the power terminals without adding in a jumper I would be appreciative.
Otherwise I guess I can see what the K3 says for voltage drop with and
without the jumper to see if there is a change.

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Sun, Sep 1, 2024, at 4:10 PM, W3FPR wrote:
> Corky,
>
> If you can adjust the power supply output, set it to 14.3 volts and
> see if the problems go away.
> Measure at the K3, not at the power supply.
> Eliminate your power distribution system and connect the K3/P3 direct
> to the power supply.
>
> Let us know if that helps.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 9/1/2024 5:55 PM, Corky wrote:
> > I was having trouble with my P3 going into brownout mode when
transmitting 50 Watt digital. This used to be fine, but seems to have been
getting worse over the past several months. When I monitored the power on
the front panel of the K3 I found it was dropping about 1.5 V when
transmitting digital signals. This would occasionally drop below 12 V and
cause the P3 to go to brownout and shut down.

delivered to ken.k...@gmail.com