Ok...not familiar with your antenna but it sounds like you may have a RFI
problem. What happens if you turn the transmitter power way down or off.  Do
you still see the same behavior?73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: Corky <af...@searlsnet.com> Date:
9/4/24  1:14 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: Gary K9GS <k...@gjschwartz.com> Subject: Re:
[Elecraft] K3 Power Issues The antenna is a Cobra Jr. - basically a folded
double Zepp.Thanks and 73,-Corky, AF4PMOn Sun, Sep 1, 2024, at 4:37 PM, Gary
K9GS wrote:What antenna are you using?73,Gary K9GS-------- Original message
--------From: Corky <af...@searlsnet.com> Date: 9/1/24  4:56 PM  (GMT-06:00)
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net Subject: [Elecraft] K3 Power Issues I was having
trouble with my P3 going into brownout mode when transmitting 50 Watt digital.
This used to be fine, but seems to have been getting worse over the past
several months. When I monitored the power on the front panel of the K3 I found
it was dropping about 1.5 V when transmitting digital signals. This would
occasionally drop below 12 V and cause the P3 to go to brownout and shut down.
I immediately assumed this was a problem with my distribution system and/or DC
power cables, however, on further examination, that does not appear to be the
case. The voltage at the distribution system shows no change in voltage when
transmitting. I tried replacing the power cables from the distributions system
and using alternate terminals with essentially no change in the behavior.Next I
cleaned the terminals on the radio with de-oxit, and moved to AWG 10 wire for
the power connection (I had been using AWG 14). I also shortened the power
cable to 3 ft and used a separate power supply so that the radio is connected
directly to the power supply. This improved the situation a bit, but the
voltage still drops 0.6 to 0.9 V on TX (digital or key down CW).While I am now
in the range that I no longer get P3 brownouts, this still seems excessive. At
this point, it appears that the problem is somewhere at the K3 power connector
or somewhere inside the radio. Has anyone else experienced this and if so are
there any suggested resolutions or things to test. I know, especially since I
am now using a separate supply I can increase the supply voltage to address the
problem, but there is still a lot of heat/energy being wasted somewhere.Thanks
and 73,-Corky,
http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htmPost: mailto:elecr...@mailman.qth.netThis list
hosted by: http://www.qsl.netPlease help support this email list:
http://www.qsl.net/donate.htmlMessage delivered to k...@gjschwartz.com