I've never understood what "The antenna tuner does not tune the antenna" even
means. The reason people say this might stem from the mistaken belief that the
resonant half-wave dipole is somehow the best because of its length. But
there's nothing about a half-wave dipole that makes it radiate any better than
a wire of some other length.

There are a lot of hams out there that are dead-set against using a tuner of
any kind, feeling that the naked antenna must work without any assistance from
the outside world. I suppose there's a kind of purist thinking behind that
notion. I suppose there could also be a fear of losses in a tuner (which are
usually unfounded, by the way). I have often found that more consequential
losses elsewhere in the system are overlooked by the same tuner-averse hams.

If a person has a fundamental problem with antenna tuners, they must also
object to what the output matching network of the final amplifier in their
transmitter does to bring the transmitter's output impedance to 50 ohms. Would
they say, "My transmitter's output matching network doesn't tune the power
transistors"? I mean, what does that even mean? Without that network, nothing
would work.

This mantra that we hear over and over-- 'my antenna tuner does not tune my
antenna'-- doesn't say anything important. We may as well say, "My sunglasses
do not tune the sun," or "My salt shaker does not tune my mashed potatoes." Is
the point they're making that a capacitor down in the shack acts differently
than a capacitor up at the antenna? If so, they're wrong.

AlĀ  W6LX/4