In the most literal sense; a tuner does nothing for an antenna. It changes no aspect of the antenna at all.  So the statement, is correct.

In the simplest sense, what a tuner does, is (attempt to) adapt the impedance of the antenna to that of the source so that the max energy is exchanged between the two (what works for TX, works for RX).

It doesn't increase efficiency in any other aspect; it allows the most energy transfer (ignoring component and heat losses).  It is an impedance matching circuit (and sometimes, a device to automate it).

If you wanna nit to pick; choose 'balun' an over (ab)used term for matching transformer; or is it a voltage choke or is it a current choke or any mix of all of the above?  😂😛

73,
Rick nk7i