Hi All,

The IC-7800 is a beautiful radio--no question.  I saw one at Dayton  this
year, and it will charm your socks off!  I saw the new Yaesu there  also, but
no
touchee--they had it in a glass case!  It's beautiful too, but  costs even
more.

To me, there are (at least) two words that apply here--"afford" and
"justify".  In other words, can you "afford" an IC-7800, and if you can,  can
you
"justify" it?  Some of us can do one or the other, a few can do  both, but many
of
us can do neither.  So we just marvel at it I  guess.  Personally, I really
am at a loss to see how this radio can be 10  or 11 thousand dollars better
than what we are already using.  I sure hope,  when the reviews on these radios
come out, they focus on that aspect.

But we are a nation of conspicuous consumption.  And that isn't all  bad!
I'm as guilty as most in buying things I don't need.  I won't  tell you what my
XYL calls me!!  And don't get me wrong, if you can afford  an IC-7800, and get
a bunch of "utils" (a word from my college economic class  which means a
measurement of "utility") from owning one, go for it!  But I  really look
forward
to the debate around the campfire about how much better a  radio like this can
be.

In addition to my K2, which I love dearly, I also have a fairly new
FT-1000MP Mark V.  I'm not even sure I can justify that radio, but I do get  a
fair
amount of "utils" out of it.  It has buttons I haven't even used  yet!  The big
deal, I guess, is that it runs 200 watts, so I don't need an  amp when I want
to just QRO it.  But it sure doesn't hear as well as my  K2.  My K2 really
needs to be upgraded--it's an early model, and I haven't  even put DSP in it
yet.
 But even in its present state, it runs like a  swiss watch.  I work DX like
crazy with it, even with my puny little R7  vertical--the best I can do with
CC&R's around here--it isn't even  "legal".  If I can't work them on the K2, I
can switch to the  FT-1000.  If that doesn't do it, well tomorrow is another
day.

Nope, even a gadget freak like me is going to be hard pressed to spend that
much money!  But I hope some of you get past the "guilt" barrier and buy  one.
 I'm really looking forward to hearing how glad you are that you did  it--and
why!

Dave W7AQK