Will probably be the next antenna for me.  I would like more info on how to
build one like yours Kevin?

Ron D'Eau Claire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:The "windom" has been a popular and
effective antenna that turns up
regularly since I got my first ticket over half a century ago.

Originally it was an alternative to using heavy, open wire feedline for a
horizontal dipole. The idea was that the single wire "feeder" would attach
at the point on the dipole that matched the characteristic impedance of the
wire, so there'd be no standing waves on the "feed" wire. No standing waves
= no radiation; exactly what we want in a feedline.

There's a lot in the Ham literature about how to find that magic feedpoint
exactly, using RF ammeters connected to the horizontal wire and moving the
feed point back and forth with pulleys, etc., before attaching it
permanently.

Unfortunately, that only works at ONE frequency! Most Hams like to QSY a
bit, even back in the days of crystal control!

But what does work FB is simply loading the "Windom" up as a random wire
like Kevin does. The vertical "feedline" now radiates like crazy with the
top wire acting as "top loading" to make the vertical wire electrically
longer than it appears. That raises the feed point impedance, and so the
efficiency, on the lower bands. Since the "feeder" doesn't connect at the
center, the top wire radiates a lot too. The end result is a big mix of
horizontal and vertical radiation.

So the "Windom" has become a popular and effective multi-band antenna, even
though Windom himself designed it for single-frequency use.

Just goes to show the true spirit of Hams - try it and see if it works. If
it works use it!

Ron AC7AC