Well, I think you folks are making it tooo difficult.. 8-)

For years, I have used a light bow (30-40 lb pull) with practice arrows to
shoot lines over the tall Georgia pine trees that I use for antenna
supports.  It is simple and effective. I can control the path of the arrow
and the amount of power needed, according to the situation.

I tape a couple of nails to the arrowhead, to add weight and make the tip
blunt.  I use 30-lb test monofilament line tied and taped just forward of
the fletch (I think that is what you call the feathers part!).  I lay out
the line in a s-pattern, estimating the amount of line required (twice the
height of the tree).  I plan my shot, at a high angle.  My plan is to just
clear the top of the tree and let the weight of the arrow pull the line
down.  Of course, I avoid trajectories that include houses, people, pets,
etc..

After the 30-lb line is across the tree, I attach some 50-lb line and pull
that back across the tree.  If my antenna halyard is heavy, I may use
another intermediate size (say 1/8" nylon line) before I attach the halyard
and pull that across the tree.  I usually tape the line junctions with duct
tape to help avoid snags.  If I do have a snag, I can usually work it out by
pulling the line back, a bit, and then trying it again, with a bit more
force.

I have tried slingshots, fishing rods/reels, tying the line to a wrench and
slinging it across (lost a window trying that one!) and climbing the tree.
The bow/arrow works best for me!

All of the devices, previously described, will work.  But, the operator
needs to be comfortable with the selected device.  A little practice before
you try the "big" shot is always a good idea.

Have a happy antenna-raising weekend!  I am headed to a little swapfest up
around Dalton, GA, to see if I can find some new stuff!

73,

Larry
KQ4BY

Larry Keith