Larry;

Even this uses TCP/IP, something John thinks he should do without.

On Oct 11, 2004, at 6:54 AM, Larry Phipps wrote:

John, the only way to do what you want and have the control software at home is to use a serial device server. There is info on this on my website as Richard mentioned.

Serial device servers can either be hardware devices or software run on a remote computer. I use the hardware approach. I got the best results with an ISDN modem, but I have tested dialup as well. Lantronix makes a line of devices that work well. I have several models which control from one to 8 devices. The remote site needs a modem with ethernet connection, like the 3COM OfficeConnect LanModem that I used. The rig plugs into the lantronix using a serial cable... the Lantronix plugs into the 3COM using an ethernet lan cable.

The serial server translates the serail port data on the rig into tcp port data which can be accessed remotely. At home, a program called a com port redirector sets up a virtual com port which any program can access as though it were a real com port. Lantronix offers a free redirector program.

I haven't tried N4PY's software with this, but it works fine with TRX-Manager.

The only way QSK is going to work is if you key an audio oscillator at home and send the audio to the remote site to key the rig. I did this with ISDN for cw, phone and PSK with good results. A standard pots phone line can't be used for cw... but you could probably condition it at the remote site to clean it up with filtering... or make a tone actuated fast relay circuit with a simple detector or better still a PLL... even then, you will get some latency since a phone line has up to 50ms or so of latency due to a number of factors depending on the distance.

- Jack Brindle, WA4FIB