Yes Jack, you're right... obviously some kind of encoding is required. I guess you could invent you own, maybe using fsk, but tcp/ip is there and it works. I think he may be saying he wants to avoid an internet connection. I had excellent results using ISDN... high quality audio, low latency, two isolated channels, one for data and one for audio... total security with passwords for connection on both channels, etc. It's widely available in my area, and not too expensive (cheaper than DSL or cable at both ends).

Technically you could use a modem without tcp/ip, but then you only have control of one serial port... whereas the serial servers allow control of virtually an unlimited number of serial ports.

TRX-Manager also offers an excellent way of running remote control using a built-in telnet server, but it requires TRX-Manager to be running on computers at both ends which complicates things a lot. It has a number of nice features though.

Larry N8LP

Jack Brindle wrote:

The only way to avoid TCP/IP would be to set up a dedicated twisted pair between your place and the remote location. This is a very expensive solution, and I'd bet you really don't want to spring for it. The reason that you really need to use TCP/IP is that it is the only protocol suite that is commonly passed among the internet. Pretty much all other protocols are blocked.

The only alternative realistically would be to set up at least one phone line at the radio site to carry the control and data information to and from the radio. The device would have to answer the phone, connect to the radio and start controlling things. There would need to be a separate path for the voice or CW data so that rig controls data would not interfere with it - thus you would really need two lines. Of course, this could also be a phone line which carries DSL. One function of the box would be to make sure that only you can operate the rig, and that the rig does NOT transmit when you are not controlling it live.

Somehow I suspect that the other TCP/IP networked solutions might actually provide what you need. There are some pretty cool ones as you are now learning...