Interesting - I had complaint on air recently of having a wide CW carrier when using a tube linear about two feet from the K2/100.

Fraser G4BJM

From: Earl W Cunningham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Hum Coupling
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:49:07 -0800

Jim, KL7CC wrote:

"So, maybe the problem [hum getting into the K2's PLL] could be worth
another look, as in maybe there is  another way to solve it?  Could
something be done to the K2 itself to make it immune to this problem?"
==========
Hum coupling from the K2's power supply xfmr is not much of a problem
because separation of a couple of feet eliminates it.

Hum coupling from a linear amp's hypersil HV xfmr is another story,
however.  Six feet is not sufficient distance from my Alpha 76CA.  Ditto
when my K2 was tried more than six feet from my friend's Alpha 99.
Thirty feet separation does clear up the problem, but that is
unacceptable.

I am a QRO operator who chases DX and works the contests, so I cannot use
my K2 for this purpose because of the trashy signal it puts out when used
with an amplifier.

Elecraft is aware of the problem and was going to investigate further
into it, but that was perhaps a year ago.  They were going to look into
the possibility of fabricating a mu metal shield, but I have heard
nothing back from them since.  If no fix becomes evident soon, I'm afraid
my K2/100 will be up for sale.

73, de Earl, K6SE