I have been following the "Hum Coupling" thread, and would like to comment, from the viewpoint of an engineer who has done a lot of interference reduction.

My guess is that magnetic fields from power transformers are either 1) being picked up by L30, or 2) that the magnetic fields are going through the cores of L30 and/or T5, and modulating the effective permeabilities of these cores. This will cause a modulation of inductance, and thus a modulation of the VFO frequency.

There are two general solutions: First, one can make the cores less susceptible to permeability modulation by using lower permeability cores (although that would require more wire turns, and perhaps physically larger inductors to have the same inductance/coupling. Second, one can use shielding that is effective for low frequency magnetic fields, at the source, at the VFO, or both. That means, of course, a ferromagnetic material.

Equipment that uses aluminum case construction offers little to no protection against magnetic fields below around 10MHz, and it isn't great until you get above 30MHz.

Regarding shielding at the VFO, mu-metal is great stuff, but it is hard to apply. If you bend or form it at all, you will have to anneal it to get back its amazing high permeability and shielding effectiveness. Most people wind up using mild steel. For a given thickness it isn't as effective as mu-metal. However, it can be formed without the necessity of annealing. And, you can simply use more, if you like. To work best, the magnetic shield should completely surround the susceptible parts.

Sometimes, you don't need the absolute best solution to make things good enough. For example, I have sometimes reduced interference enough by wrapping a few turns of hypersil tape around the outside of a toroid (this is the same thin metal tape that tape-wound transformer cores are made of). Also, one could try somehow putting a sheet of mild steel between the interference source and its target.

Regarding shielding the interference source (a large power transformer), that is a lot harder. Mu-metal is ineffective because the strong magnetic fields near a high power transformer will saturate the mu-metal (it saturates easily), rendering it useless. Again, our friend, mild steel, can come to the rescue. A steel enclosure helps. For an E-I core transformer, steel end bells help. Toroidal power transformers have much lower external fields, but they are not zero. Enclosing the transformer in a steel box can help, provided that the transformer can run cool enough. [Whatever you do, never run a bolt through the core of a toroidal transformer if there is any possibility that the two ends can be connected together (such as by both touching the same metal box). It would be a shorted turn!] Of course, if the whole equipment using the big power transformer is in a steel box, that helps.

Here's a possibility for experimenting with K2 susceptibility: Try using one of those bulk tape erasers near it. They put out huge 60Hz fields. [Just don't get it near your credit/bank cards!]

Since I don't have a K2, I can't try this myself, but I would be happy to correspond with anyone trying to solve these problems. I am considering getting a K2, and joined this reflector to learn more about it.

73,
Allen Walker