Hello again Guy,

Fair comment. As far as the "commercial" issues are concerned I could not
agree more. I would add to the wish list the supply of real impedance
information especially around the bandpass edge frequencies where the
filter's port impedances will gyrate like mad, and not just the nominal
impedance. But as you say, how would a few dozen characters in a calalog
pass on this information. So the designers had to get samples, at least we
did, but we Amateurs can't - usually.

I want to go off list to comment on your other points so as not to clutter
up the reflector. But one last point before doing so. It is a great pity
that the myth exists, IMHO, that double conversion receivers with a high
first IF are second runners to single conversion low IF receivers. Perhaps
many are because their first IF filters are so wide, and overload can and
does occur further down the line. Small bandwidth VHF crystals filters do
exist, I have some here, but I suspect that wideband VHF monolithic crystal
filters are cheaper for the manufacturers of transceivers etc. However there
is no doubt that a properly designed high first IF receiver is far less
prone to spurious responses than its low IF cousin, and can have very good
strong signal performance. HERESY !

I'll see you off list.

73,

Geoff      GM4ESD.