Jim, W1FMR asked:
What is the lowest capacitance value you can measure with the popular  DMMs
?

(in picoFarads ?)  DMM specs do not spell out what the minimum capacitance
is..

---------------------------

My Radio Shack DMM will accurately measure capacitance as low as 2 or 3 pf.

It has a parasitic capacitance of about 111 pf, but that's not a serious
problem when working with small capacitors. I simply subtract the parasitic
capacitance from the reading (113 pf - 111 = 2 pf). The meter has sockets
for capacitor leads to avoid variable parasitic capacitance from the test
leads. I've checked it for accuracy with values at low as 2.2 pf.

It will work with the test leads attached too as long as I'm careful to lay
the leads out so they don't move around. I've measured the value of caps I
can't plug into it easily (e.g. a large variable cap) by arranging the leads
so they are close to but not touching the cap and noting the parasitic
capacitance. Then I touch the leads to the cap and note the change.

I can't guarantee how other DMMs will react, but since a relatively small
number of special-purpose I.C.s are used in virtually all DMMs, I'd expect
other DMM's in its price class ($70) to behave much the same.

Ron AC7AC