A few days ago somebody was asking  who it might be  who's been experimenting
with shielding on the KSB2 board.  I was that  guy I suspect, because nobody
else I've observed on this net seems to be as  annoyed as I about the bad
skirts, high ripple, bad ultimate selectivity,  etc. when the K2 is used with
the
KSB2.

This is an unbelievably competent radio; no matter whether it's measured
against $10,000 machines, $600.00 machines, or whatever.
BUT------------------------

The performance of its filter, and the way that it performs when installed
in the radio, is DISMAL!!!!!!!!

On sideband, tight skirts (the electronic kind, gentlemen!) are terribly
important, maybe more so than on CW.  There is nothing neater than  listening
a weak SSB signal through an IF system that has a 1.2:1 shape  factor.  That
complete absence of interference on the sides is marvelous to  hear.  I'd be
surprised if the KSB2 manages 2:1.  Just tune through  loud broadcast signals
on
forty meters sometime; listen to the audio "images"  the other side of zero
beat even on moderately strong signals.  If this  radio were a piece of junk
that might be acceptable.  On a radio that is  truly world class in every other
respect it's absolutely unacceptable.

Take a look at something like a TR-4C; the way the sideband switch is
oriented so that the input side of the filters cannot "see" the output is
typical
of the care that used to be taken with filter installation.   Similar with
Collins S line receivers:  those not so wonderful  mechanical filters are,
nevertheless mounted in such a way as to utilize every  drop of filtering
that's
available.  That was fifty or so years ago!   How far have we come?

I have had good success on the KSB2 with shielding the input and output
toroids in little tine cans.  Yeah, I know, toroids are self  shielding;  but
even
the small wires that go into the board act as little  antennas.  I've also
tried putting a small shield on the bottom of the  board, separating the input
from the output.  It works, as well.  All  of these things work, but I'm more
than a little disappointed that apparently no  concern was given to filter
isolation when the design was originally  created.

How about somebody designing a filter?  I've contacted Inrad; they  already
have a CW filter for the K2, but the K2's CW performance isn't as much  of a
problem as it's sideband performance.  Inrad doesn't just doesn't seem  to be
interested in coming up with a sideband filter.

Is anybody else as annoyed as I am about this stuff?

Merlin

W3ICT