You may have just sold me on a KDSP2 down the road Eric. I just ran some tests on my "new used" K2 (#568), and to cut to the chase... I measured ultimate rejection out 5 kHz as 80dB with the KSB2 OP1 filter in, better than you indicated. But with FL2, which is set for 1.8 kHz, I measured 115dB. Is this a result of the KSB2 being outboard?

Larry N8LP

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

We designed the KDSP2 to improve ultimate SSB filter ultimate rejection in the K2.

The KDSP2, with its brick wall SSB filter settings, when cascaded after the KSB2 filter, totally eliminates any residual leakage from strong signals outside the passband. It also tightens the net filter shape factor. The ultimate rejection is 60-75 dB on the xtal filter, which means a strong residual off freq. signal will not activate the K2's AGC, allowing the DSP to do its job without signal degradation.

This is how I run my K2 and I hear no difference with strong off frequency signal blow-by between it and the other $3K+ rigs we have in the lab. :-)

73, Eric  WA6HHQ

Larry Phipps wrote:

Sounds like the age old debate in the hifi world about the "sweet" sound of tube amplifiers vs. the "hard" sound of clearly superior modern solid state amps.

Preferences aside about slopes and shape factors... I'd like to have MUCH better ultimate rejection... and a true rf clipper would be a nice addition, especially when using QRP.

Larry N8LP