Surface-mount (SMD) components are easy to work with, *if* you have very steady hands, good visual acuity (aided by a magnifier), and a very fine-tip soldering iron (etc.). I've done a lot of SMD work myself, and can even read the labels on 0805 resistors ;) Our new T1-FT817 interface cable has a tiny board loaded with 0402-sized components inside a mini-DIN connector, and I built the first one by hand. So don't get me wrong -- I think SMDs can be a lot of fun.

However, supporting SMD-based kits would be an absolute nightmare. Many parts have cryptic labels, or none at all, notably capacitors. Keeping track of parts as you build -- which requires a lot of discipline -- is just the tip of the iceberg. Imagine for a moment that you're an Elecraft customer-service tech, confronted daily by kits with hundreds of SMDS, many of which are installed in the wrong place, not soldered correctly, damaged due to heating, etc. Problems like this can be very painful to troubleshoot because of the labeling problem. Already, Gary spends most of his time finding and fixing problems with soldering and incorrect component installation.

So, what's more likely is that we would offer small SMD-based kits that have BIG, BOLD, UNAVOIDABLE, UN-FINE print that says, in effect, "DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME....Unless you really want to." And unfortunately, this necessity translates to a small market for the kits.

That said, looking into my crystal ball I can see a time when home pick-'n'-place machines with AI-enabled vision systems become commonplace....

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---