I agree with your idea Bob,  I think that perhaps the marker should stay on
though. Perhaps it should either turn green, or blink or give some indication
that you are still in the QSY mode. Once you push the QSY button again it would
lock in your "scrubbed to" location and the Marker could come back solid, or
blue again.
As for the movement in that second QSY mode, I would have it so that as you
turn the QSY select knob the freq is just dragged along at real time, just as
if you were turning the VFO knob.  The rate could be set by how you have your
knob Fine/course tuning rate set.

That would give you something similar to what you have on your LP Pan.  I would
love this feature as I've found myself using that QSY knob more than the VFO
now...