The Smiths wrote:

> Because the accuracy of the display readout when doing the "CENTER"
> alignment is short by 2 digits, it causes the centering of the P3 to be
> within only 100Hz of the actual center.  It is imperative to the CW guys
> that the extra 2 digits be displayed on the Top center read out.  This
> would allow us to both CENTER and REF CAL our WWV carrier right on Zero
> Beat, and not just within 100Hz. Right now this is the most crippling blow
> to the CW guys.

You may not be doing Reference Calibration correctly if you are using the
digital frequency readout on the P3.  You don't need anything except the
Spectrum display (step 5 below).  From page 19 of the manual:

Frequency Calibration

Turn on the transceiver and P3 and allow
them to warm up for 30 minutes, minimum,
before performing the calibration.

1.  If the transceiver has a calibration procedure to
correct its frequency errors, perform that
procedure first.

2.  Using a well-calibrated signal generator or an
on-the air carrier signal of known frequency,
tune in the signal on the transceiver. An A.M.
broadcast station can serve as a suitable test
signal.

3.  Adjust the transceiver frequency to the known
frequency of the test signal. Depending upon
the modulation mode of the transceiver, the
signal may not be audible.

4.  Set the P3 for minimum span and adjust the
reference level and scale so you can easily see
the signal.

5.  Select MENU:Ref Cal, tap the SELECT
knob, and adjust the frequency calibration until
the carrier is centered horizontally on the
display. If the required correction is more than a
few kHz, it may be that the I.F. frequency is set
incorrectly. That can be adjusted via
MENU:Xcvr Def.

The P3's Ref Cal steps in the menu are 10 Hz but that's close enough for
accurately QSYing to even a 50 Hz bandwidth.

73,  Bill