Bill Myers wrote:

> The KRX3 seemed like a natural next step.  I am a "casual" DXer and
> contester, so it made sense to gain the features it would add, especially
> for SPLIT operation.  But the K3 really has a good split system without
> the sub-RX - at least for my level of seriousness.
>
> When I consider the P3, it would seem that the ability to spot (visually)
> and quickly (click?) the best frequency would be a powerful feature.  My
> problem; I have no experiience with either a sub-receiver, or a spectrum
> display - my most advanced tranceiver before the K3 was my K2 (which will
> continue to have a place on my operating table!).

I have a KRX3, P3 and LP-PAN/CW Skimmer.

KRX3 (cost $600-650 plus $125 for second CW filter)

Advantages:
True Diversity (mainly useful for low banders with good RX antennas)
Simultaneous RX on same band (big split pileups, S&P while running, etc).
Simultaneous RX on different bands
Easy set up
Easy to use

Disadvantages:
No big picture

P3 ($700-750, assumes you have a KXV3A)

Advantages:
200 kHz bandscope (find DX freqs, CQing holes, etc)
Flexible display (Fixed spans...not just around K3's IF OUT, VFO A and/or
VFO B control)
Very easy set up
Very easy to use

Disadvantages:
No zero-beat QSY
No decoding

CW Skimmer ($75 + LP-PAN $185-235 + soundcard $75 + 3 GHz P4 computer $100,
assumes you have a KXV3A)

Advantages:
Best waterfall including true zero-beat decoder dots
See where "599" was last sent in humongous pileup
Text/call decoding (OK for assisted contesting)
"Blind Mode" (OK for unassisted contesting)
Keyboard QSY (no mouse click, no knob push)

Disadvantages:
Medium difficulty set-up (but much easier than PowerSDR)
24 kHz Span (when using K3's IF OUT)
Span always centered on K3's IF OUT
VFO A control only

It really depends on what you're mainly interested in.  For low band DX-ing
with a good set of RX antennas, I'd choose the KRX3 because of diversity.
For general bandscope use, the P3.  For serious pileup-busting and
contesting use, CW Skimmer.  Regarding what I meant above about decoding
"599" in a huge split pileup, see the last screen shot below:

http://dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer/

73,  Bill

P.S.  Soundcard and computer costs above are what I paid.