> I have not looked at waveforms on a scope, but this is what the 4391
> Power Analyst says. It would be interesting to look at some speech
> patterns, but I have no idea what a good reference input would be or
> how to accomplish that. The above is with my voice and saying "hello
> test one two three" several times normally. :-)

Jack, W8OZA did an extensive review of K3 transmit audio processing
using air traffic voice samples and his usual arsenal of automated
test equipment in March 2009.

   http://cliftonlaboratories.com/elecraft_k3_speech_processing.htm

The Telepost LP-100 wattmeter includes a peak to average function
that shows the effects of compression/clipping.  It is interesting
to see the amount of "RF compression" introduced by traditional
ALC - particularly when one understands the amount of distortion
created.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV