On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:49:01 -0400, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> > Are any of you guys driving your K3 with W2IHY or other audio rack
> > gear?

>Why bother?  The K3 already provides all of the capability of the
>W2IHY 8 band EQ/noise gate, adds downward expansion in the noise
>gate and there is no issue with external hum loops, RF pick-up, etc.

I completely agree.

> > I'm still waiting for my K3 to get back from the factory, but I plan
> > on running the full stack of W2IHY gear with a Heil GM-5 Mic.

>I've used wide range (broadcast style) mics and the Heil HC-5 element
>with the K3's internal EQ and find that configuring the K3 for a 6 dB
>per octave roll off below 400 Hz (50 Hz: -16dB, 100 Hz: -12dB, 200 Hz:
>-6 dB), a -6dB "notch" at 800 Hz and 6 dB per octave rise above 1000 Hz
>(1600 Hz: +6dB, 2400 Hz: +10dB, 3200 Hz: +12dB) yields extremely good
>audio reports with the "broadcast" mic and a lot of "presence" without
>the "restricted" sound on the HC-5.

>Coupled with "CMP" at 25, this provides plenty of "punch" without
>sounding over processed and "all highs" like the HC-4.

Because I've worked in pro audio for nearly 50 years, I own a bunch of pro
mics. Rather than buy a mic, I've also used pro mics like RE16 and RE20
with the K3 and other ham rigs, and done exactly what Joe has done. They
sound great that way, they get great reports, and they produce competitive
contest and DX audio. I've replaced them with a Yamaha CM500, only because
I could wear the headset and get away from the boom stand that held the
pro mic, it is comfortable, and inexpensive.

I've never owned a Heil mic, but I've heard a lot of them on the air. Most
of them sound varying degrees of bad.

73, Jim Brown K9YC