On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:31:35 -0700, Dave Hachadorian wrote:

>Other el cheapo computer mics sound great too.

Yes. Before I left Chicago about 5 years ago, I bought five assorted
Plantronics headsets in different configurations. I suspect they were
someone's free samples. I think I paid a total of $20 for the lot. I
subsequently found them for sale at Fry's for about $30 each.

I made up connector adapters to use them with a all the ham rigs I
then owned (a K2, Omni V, TS850, and IC746) and a computer for VOIP.
The adapters included a resistor from V+ to bias the electret. All of
them sounded good and produced competitive contest audio with all of
the rigs and the computer.

73, Jim Brown K9YC