Heck, keyers went way back into the late 40's, if I recall correctly..
I played around with a two 12au7 HB tube keyer in 1960.  The tubes
worked fine but the output keying relay was a real problem.  One had to
adjust contact spacing and spring tension on the relay to get it to
work.  It really didn't work very well above 25 wpm.  Paddle was a bug
with a rubber band on the dit arm and rewired dash contacts.  The W9TO
keyer came along in the same era.   The relay problem was solved by
using a sealed mercury whetted relay.  It could do 65 WPM.  It had an
awful sounding sawtooth monitor..  Later I sprung for a single lever
ELKEY paddle  Kept it about 25 years until the Curtis single IC keyer
came along.  I built that into my TS-520 and published an article in CQ
about the mod.  To my knowledge it was the first within rig keyer.  Then
came a multi IC HB keyboard keyer.  That was wonderful.  It had a few
memories.   Then came computers and computer keyboard keying with HB
coding and logging on a Radio Shack computer.  I finally ended up
abandoning keyboard keying in favor of a pico keyer mounted right on the
40 year old single lever paddle..  Pico keyer for ragchewing and fills,
computer keying for contests.

Never made the change to a two lever paddle.  Doubt I'll ever do it.

BTW Iambic A on a single lever keyer also has the extra dit problem.  I
must use iambic B.

It has been interesting.

73 de Brian/K3KO.

The key paddle was a bug with the dit arm constrained by a rubber band
and the dash paddle rewired to have an independent connection.