Dick,

You use "some compression"? Crank it up!

Dump the external EQ, and use either the HC-4 or HC-5 (no bias) and crank
the TX EQ bands up or down until it sounds nasty enough. You'll generally
reduce the lows and increase the highs.

Crank up the compression and it'll sound as bad as the Yaesu does.

Your fellow contester's claim reveals his lack of knowledge about the K3
as it can be adjusted to sound any way you want, with nearly any
microphone.

Generally speaking, if it doesn't sound right, crank it up.

73,

Bob W5OV

P.S. I know that audio purists will not like the above advice. But, you
are looking to bust pileups, not get an audio quality award.