Totally true.  I've probably previously cited the example from last
winter's NAQP contest where I heard a Midwest guy endlessly calling CQ
with very few callers even though he had a booming signal here in
Arizona.  The problem was he had so much mic gain and compression nobody
could understand his callsign.  I gave him a call and told him that, so
he kept cranking it down until he was fully intelligible.  He was more
than 12 db weaker than when he started (and it wasn't due to QSB) but he
immediately started getting replies.

I came across another example in the CQP this past weekend.  I was
running and the caller had so much compression that I couldn't make out
his suffix even after a few tries.  I told him to back down the mic
gain, he did, and he sounded way better.

People who set their mic gain and compression levels to maximize their
output power are a scourge on our hobby.

73,
Dave   AB7E