The K3 has sufficient equalization to tailor the sound of any microphone, the
external equalizer is completely unneeded in my opinion.  My cheap-o computer
gaming headset sounds really good (through the monitor) and gets great reports
on the air.  When chasing DX or during a contest I'll turn the compression up
to 25.  I've heard my signal through a couple of different radios that have
their output online.  The audio is surprisingly good.  Setting the compression
that high really makes a huge difference in average output and it makes a big
difference on the other end.
Rob
NV5E