I had an engineer working for me (we're both retired and see each other for
lunch once a month) who was also a musician.

He swore that he could hear the difference between different kinds of speaker
wire. I had him read Bob Pease's article on this.

http://www.national.com/rap/Story/0,1562,3,00.html

Wes

--- On Thu, 10/28/10, Bill NY9H <n...@arrl.net> wrote:

>These are pretty cute:
>http://www.avantelectronics.com/AVANTONE_mixcubes.htm

i really like the description at the website:
as to why their speaker is better:
"We designed a proprietary 5.25" die cast aluminum frame driver/cone
assembly to exceed the performance of the originals. The mounting
bezel is then polished for an elegant appearance. The paper cone,
chosen for its musical character, is custom designed & crafted using
the finest New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for lighter weight
& rigidity. The cloth surround is made in Japan to exacting uniform
thickness tolerances. The Top Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of
Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel enabling the highest modeled flux
density in the gap. The magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC) yielding a 43oz "

EACH & Every sentence makes me snicker...
   what ever happened to an old 5" utah,,,,radio speaker,.,,,

we have come a long way ....    :)        in no particular direction.....

bill /3