Guy,

Firmware 4.18 is still available at the Elecraft website - it was 4.17
that has been pulled AFAIR.
Yes, 4.18 has some problems that have been identified on this reflector,
but for those who are willing to work around those problems, I am
certain the firmware folks at Elecraft would like to have feedback of
any other problems discovered.

Those who wish to "play it safe" should definitely retreat to 4.14
(install all the files), but for those who are a bit more adventuresome,
try out the APF and the improved noise gate, etc. as long as you are
willing to work around the limitations that have been identified so far.

I often use beta releases of software, and I do expect a few glitches
when I do - I figure that is my "cost" for trying something new.  The
good thing about Elecraft is that they do respond to identified problems
in a timely manner (unlike some others).  Lyle will certainly be busy
when he gets finished with his weekend!  Let's provide him with
information on any other glitches that might show up.

73,
Don W3FPR