To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 9:55 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] start with straight key or paddles?

Comrades,
I'm working on my code to get my licenses soon. I will want to do CW with the k2 I will buy and build on board our trawler. 1st mate and CFO watches expenses like a hawk and will catch me if I (gasp) buy two things which appear to do same thing. You can't hide much from her on the 36 boat we live on. I intend to get the $80 MFJ code reader because some of you have convinced me that it is a good detector of unreadable output. I'm hoping to get my speed and accuracy up by sending to the MFJ.

If I ultimately intend to use paddles as most of you appear to be doing, why is it a bad idea simply to start with a set? I can understand that what I'm really wanting to do is to train my "fist" and ears, but it looks like paddles involve somewhat different monkey motions and maybe it would make more sense just to buy a set and get on with it.

comments?

regards, John Ferguson - M/V Arcadian (now in Norfolk,VA waiting for wave amplitude reduction in Chesapeake Bay before continuing northward)