I am left handed and I can use a straight key only with my left hand.  I
learned to use a bug and keyer right handed because I cannot write
legibly right handed (OK, I can't write legibly with either hand, but
relatively speaking, left is less illegible than right!).  Oddly, I
always use the Bencher with my K2 right handed, however I find that I'm
nearly equally comfortable with either hand on the KX1.

Years ago, a good friend and long-term ham (right handed) told me that
the proportion of hams who are left handed exceeds the overall
population average (~10%) by a "significant" amount.  He offered a few
lame reasons for this.  Given that 43.3 percent of all people make up
their own statistics, I've continued to wonder about this ... not all
the time, just every now and then.

SMALL EXPERIMENT:  If you'd like to, send me an email (OFF REFLECTOR for
Pete's sake!!!!) with the following information:

Basic Handedness  (right, left, either)
Writing Handedness
Straight Key Handedness (right, left, either, never used)
Bug Handedness
Iambic Keyer Handedness
PTT Switch Handedness (for phone-only ops)
Age
Years Licensed
Comments (but I'll probably ignore them for the survey)

Cut-off date for inclusion in the results is 2359Z 5/16/2005.

And, if you google "left handedness", you'll find a geocities entry on
the first page of results that offers this sobering (if possibly
extreme) analysis:

"What does left-handedness mean, practically speaking? Medical
literature reports that lefties more accident prone, are more likely to
have their fingers amputated by power-tools, suffer more wrist
fractures. Lefties are more susceptible to allergies, auto-immune
diseases, bed-wetting, depression, drug abuse, epilepsy, hypnotism, low
birth weight, schizophrenia, sleeping disorders, suicide attempts, and
certain learning disabilities. Lefties are six times likelier to die in
an accident, and four times to likelier to die while driving."

Bed wetting?  How have any of us actually survived to retirement?

73,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw