Ron wrote:

>I kept my hand in on a straight key and passed my 20 wpm
>Extra Class Amateur and my Commercial RadioTelegraph
>license tests using a straight key.

When I took my Extra exam 25 years ago, they had already eliminated the
Morse sending test.  Too bad, I thought.  When I took my commercial
telegraph exam the same year, Morse sending tests were still required (one
minute without error at 20 wpm plain language, and16 wpm code groups).  I
still remember having qualms about using a ratty old FCC office straight key
for the 20 wpm test.  That's always been about my limit for straight key
operation.

>I built a keyer in the 1970's that I kept and used whenever I
>used a keyer until I got my K2. It's a "Mode A Iambic" keyer

Thank goodness for iambic mode A.  I never understood how mode B, the result
of a logic design error in an early (1960s) electronic keyer design, caught
on.  Its timing is trickier than mode A, but it still requires exactly the
same number of hand motions to send a particular character.  But mode B
seems to have become a default mode on many of today's rigs with internal
keyers, such as the Yaesu FT-817 and SWL's DSW series.  I  bought DSW rigs
before knowing they were mode B only, but fortunately Jackson Harbor came
out with an aftermarket PIC that allowed mode A.  I resolved to never by a
rig that did not allow mode A.  I love my K1, yet if it were mode B only,
I'd never buy one.

>I use a straight key and bug at all times.

I believe the use of a straight key should be a fundamental tool in a
skilled Morse operator's tool bag.  But I never got comfortable with the
Vibroplex I've owned for decades.

I too would discourage spending money, if it is limited, on a Morse decoder.
There's never been a machine that can match the decoding skill of even a
modestly skilled Morse operator.  OTOH, the MFJ-418 code practice generator
is the best portable CW learning tool ever made, IMHO.  It's compact and can
be taken anywhere, and it can send practice text or code groups at speeds
seldom encountered on the air anymore.  I'd have loved to have had one when
I was getting ready for the random code group test for the commercial
telegraph license.  It's just fun to use, even if you've long since taken
your last Morse exam.

73,
Mike / KK5F