A great many people purchase what they feel others will admire or that has
the correct "look and feel" based on their personal bias. Objective
performance of a rig may be nowhere near the top of their list of
decision-making criteria.

A life-long home brewer, I've had other Hams tell me they'd never consider
building a rig from scratch because they do not have the money or resources
to make it look "professional" (i.e. factory-assembled). Sometimes it's not
even the Ham but the XYL who refuses to have anything in the house that
doesn't "look right". (Shoot back in the 1950's and 60's Collins used to run
ads directed at XYLs telling them to insist 'hubby' get one of their rigs
because of its neat appearance on the desk!)

Personally, I'm just happy if my creations work.

We can never make everyone we know happy. The goal, I think, is to avoid
making others unhappy.

Ron AC7AC